Saturday, October 8, 2011

Riverbank Wine and Cheese 5K

Where do I start....In June when I was hired at Merced High School I decided I deserved a personal trainer!  I had been working out for about a month on my own and wanted to learn more about full body workouts vs my typical cardio routine.  I meet once a week with my trainer and love the workouts.  I can say I haven't really lost much weight, but can tell the difference in my body and strength.  I had talked with Dave about running a 5K and really wanted my first one to be the Dragonfly run in San Ramon, but it was on the same day I had to take the CSET so that was out. 

My friend Gretchen has been running and losing weight for about 6 or 7 months and she is such an inspiration!  At our scrapbook retreat she was going to go running and I thought I would join her to see if I could actually run 3 miles outside.  Ah, piece of cake!  It was a little challenging at parks because there were so hills that were a little steep, but we did it. 

Gretchen was registered to run a 5K in Riverbank a few weeks out and I thought that would be a good opportunity for me to run a race and not be completely alone.  Gretchen, her sister in law Amy and I met up a few times over the next couple of weeks to run 3 miles and our time improved each time.  I mentioned to Gretchen that my goal for the 5K would be to complete the race in under 30 minutes. She gave the "you're crazy" look and warned me not to run too fast at the beginning and tire out.  I ran a couple of times alone prior to the race and ran a 9 minute mile which was good enough to put me under 3 miles at the race.  I was confident I could reach my goal.  Dave had his plant sale the day of the race so he kept  the boys.

Another friend that I met from scrapbooking, Nancy, was also running but she was doing the 10K.  Nancy and her daughter rode up with my and Nancy started the race with me to pace me.  I finished the race in 28:42!!! I definitely hated parts of the run, but just like much of my life, put my mind to it and got it done!!!

I'll catch the Dragonfly Run next year!


Charis, Nancy, Gretchen, Amy, and Me

No comments:

Post a Comment