Sunday, December 2, 2012

California International Marathon

After a year of running and months of "marathon" training the weekend was here! After running 5K's, 10K's and a couple halves I felt the desire to challenge myself to a full marathon...26.2 miles!  With the amazing support of my husband I started a training program in August to get myself conditioned to run the full marathon distance.  Running 3 mornings/nights during the week and a long run on the weekends take lots of time.  Time away from Dave and the boys, mostly Dave.  Because getting up at 4:30-5 in the morning was not my favorite, most of my runs were at 7 at night, just as the boys were going to bed.  Saturday/Sunday morning runs ranged from 2-3:30 hours and Dave was great to take the boys to work or play during this time.  I literally felt like I was running all the time...because I was. 
 
The app I used to train would give you words of motivation along your run and one was, "don't give up during hard weather conditions, because will you on race day"  I had no idea what this little speech over months was getting me ready for!  As the race weekend approached the forecast projected rain...lots of it.  Not running at this point was definitely not an option, I trained too hard.  So I started reading on the Internet how to prepare to run in the rain, trash bag and lube! 
 
Shannon and Toni came to stay with the boys so we could head to Sacramento for the weekend events.  My dad and Dianne joining us for the pre-race meal on Saturday night and came to support me during the run.  On the morning of I put my split tattoos 4:45 goal.  After talking to the pace team at the expo they suggested I would be around the 4:45 pace.  Put my trash bag on and Dave dropped me off at the start.  Rain, rain, and more rain will not stop 8,000 crazy runners and their support teams.  I had requested they be at the 10 mile and 20 mile marks for motivation and I was surprised how much I really looked forward to see someone I knew at these points.  The first 20 miles were in the rain, some points downpours, and at some points in the road you had not other choice than to run straight though a puddle of water.  Dave, Dad, and Dianne would almost as wet as me from waiting in the rain for me to run by.  I love them all for suffering through this with me! 
 
Finishing with a 4:50 was slower than I'd hope for, but it was tons of fun and in the conditions - whatever!  I did stop to potty around mile 18, refill my water, have a shot of beer around 21 and another drink of beer around mile 23.  At that point I was thinking why not have some fun along the way! 
 
Eating right and limiting my alcohol intake was also part of the training so it was of no surprise that when it was over I ate a huge hamburger and had a tall beer! 
 







No comments:

Post a Comment