Saturday, January 9, 2010

Pin Trader

So we learned a whole new side of Disneyland on this trip!!! Pin Trading. In the evening on day one of our visit Dave started looking at all the pins carts around and started talking to the employees about the story behind all the pins and lanyards. So of course he soon wanted one of his own to start collecting and trading.

So here's the deal, you can start with a "Starter Kit" which comes with 5 pins and a lanyard. Then as you walk around Disneyland and California Adventure you will spot "Cast Members" (employees) with different colored lanyards on. Black means anyone can trade, turquoise is for child trading only, and maroon means they are a lead trader. Seriously who know their was this hidden world of Disney. Anyway, each Cast Member must trade up to two pins with every guest as long as you are not giving them a pin that they already have. So the key is to collect the pins you like or those of higher value. There are pins that have Hidden Mickeys, I don't know why they call them this they are very easy to spot, but they are a small typically silver colored Mickey head. These types of pins are only available from Cast Members of buy getting lucky when you purchase a "Mystery Pack" of pins.

Dave was so excited to purchase his starter kit and begin trading. It was a little annoying the first night to hunt down Cast Members that had pins to trade, because not every Cast Member has one. I do have to say this was a great way to pass the time when the boys were napping. It's like a scavenger hunt in Disneyland. After a night of Dave trading Shannon, Karley, and I laughing at Dave we all found ourselves getting involved. Karley almost kicked herself on day 2 when she pointed out a pin trading store on the way into Disneyland and I quickly became very interested also. On day 2 I was sucked in! I purchased a lanyard and what they call a "Booster Pack", 5 pins to start trading, and was now on the hunt too. Like I said it was a great way to pass the time and mingle with Cast Members when the boys were sleeping. Now we are pin collectors!!!

Dave's start
So excited to be trading
Dave checking out his collection

No comments:

Post a Comment