Friday, June 7, 2013

Last Days of School

Garrett was more than excited to finish his final day of kindergarten.  He had a great year at Chenoweth with a great teacher.  He learned so much and his love for writing and math grew over this past year.  He loves to write in his journal and we will continue this over the summer.  He had perfect report cards throughout the year and was often chosen to be the helper in class.  Garrett spend the first 160 days of school counting up and the last 30 counting down!
 
Gannon will return to Montessori next year for his last year of preschool.  He took has learned so much and loved being in the big house.  His writing improved this year and he can count to 60 and can also count by 5's and 10's to at least 100!  He isn't a constant ball of learning like Garrett, but I do believe is equally as smart.  He started working on adding sheets by the end of the year and did very well on these too. 
 
I too loved every minute (well almost) of being at Yosemite High School.  I truly love working with kids that come from a challenging home environment and often low self esteem.  I love watching them become "math" students and totally love walking around my classroom hearing all the math chatter going on.  Yes, they have had struggles in school and at home, but they are amazing to me.  To come to school often without proper meals at home or even a bed to a 42 minute Algebra class, take notes, workout problems, and leave for the day without homework. To come back the next day and still retain what you learned the day before would be a challenge for any student and to do this with less than perfect home lives is amazing to me.  I got to know some great students and watched them become so confident by the end of the year.  People often look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them what school I work at, but I LOVE IT!!!
 
Not only do I love my job and students I of course love the time this school allows me to spend with our boys.  We are typically home by 3:30 doing homework and getting a hot dinner on the table.  Being able to be home with them is awesome.  I feel like I have the best of both worlds. 
 
First night of summer was spent watching a movie on the living room floor, one of our favorite past times! 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment