At Gannon's last allergy appointment the doctor explained that now that we had his system clear we needed to do some food challenges, adding back, to see which ingredients exactly were an issue. After much thought I determined that adding soy back would be the best bang for my buck, so to speak. There are lots of gluten free products that he still cannot have because they also have soy so I thought this product would be a great one to add back. The ability to include soy in his diet would open a lot of products that we are currently limiting. The doctor also wanted the challenges to be in a controlled way in terms of something that we can control exactly the amount added back and in small increments. I figured this would be easiest to do with his muffins that I do from scratch. Currently the changes for allergies are as follows, flour is rice flour, eggs are replaced with applesauce/baking powder, and vegetable (soy) oil is replaced with Canola oil. Since I wanted to do soy first I change this ingredient to 1 tbsp of soy oil and 1 of the canola.
Results - not only will he only take one bite of a muffin that in some sittings he will eat three of with in a few hours these rash bumps appeared! Well, test concluded, he obviously doesn't like the taste because he will hardly eat them and they give him a rash. Soy is back on the NO list! A week or so to clear up and another challenge will be done.
No comments:
Post a Comment