Thursday, April 9, 2009

Medical Trauma

Tuesday mid day Gannon had pencil eraser size bumps appear on his arm and the freak that I am about this child's medical (I am the same with Garrett) I of course called our pediatrician right away. The nurse explained that any rash the doctor wants to see so please bring him in. By the time our afternoon appointment came around there were lots more bumps on poor little Gannon's arms and legs. The only thing that came to mind being different is that we started to add formula to Gannon's diet last week and so I was sure that was the issue. The doctor confirmed that was not the issue and asked if anything else had changed. I then remember that I was taking amoxicillin for the great sinus infection that I had gotten the week prior. She thought for a minute and explained that she had never seen the drug pass to child through milk and cause this type of allergic reaction, but she would confirm and give me a call. So that night I switched Gannon (after paging our poor doctor to consult) to formula and by morning is old bumps now appeared to be bruises and he had tons more bumps. So back to the phone I go, our wonderful doctor sent Gannon for blood work and within 1 1/2 she called to confirm that our little guy is HIGHLY allergic to penicillin. Good news is after 24 hours of a formula diet he is all cleared up. I'm so glad we discovered this with a very small amount of the medicine through my milk and it was not given directly to him, can you imagine the reaction then! Never a dull moment at our house…

Day 2 - 1st location bumps appeared
Day 2 - poor face with rash
Day 2 - new bumps
Day 2 - bruise looking rash

No comments:

Post a Comment