Garrett has entered the dress himself stage of life! Ever sense he was old enough to make a choice we have given him options of what to wear, well now that has all changed. He can pick his own clothes!
Let me back track a little. During our potty training we switched him from jeans everyday to sweats for the obvious reason that he could quickly pull his own pants down. We only had a couple of pairs of sweats (since I'm not a big sweats fan) so we even had to pick up a couple of new pairs while he got the hang of potty thing.
So now that he has been wearing sweats, I guess he like them. Everyone that knows me know that I don't really run around in sweats unless I'm having a very lazy day at home. Even the days that I don't go anywhere I'm still showered and dressed in jeans and shirt. So the fact that he wants to wear sweats everyday kills me!
We had a birthday party a couple of weeks ago and Garrett needed to get dressed so what does he want to wear - sweats! NO child you can't wear those. Prior to taking the sweats off he picked his football shirt. I explained to him that the jersey had holes so he would have to wear an undershirt, aka wife beater! Once he had the wife beater and his sweats on he looked at me and very seriously said, "I'm dressed"! Nice try dude you are not attending a birthday party in sweats and a wife beater. It was a challenge to change him, but it finally happened.
He did make it to school one day last week with a pair of grey sweats on and a floral button down shirt! What a fashion statement. They did kinda match at least! I asked if he was sure that is what he wanted to wear and he answered, "it's not jammies". You are rights it's not jammies.
Over the past couple of weeks on days that it is warm we have pulled out the shorts. He does not approve of this move. If he can't wear sweats, he asked for jeans like Mommy. And then picks out a long sleeve shirt. I try to explain that it is going to be hot and he really doesn't care. He wants to wear what he has picked out.
I finally replaced his jeans in the dresser with shorts and hid his long sleeve shirts in the closet. So this morning when we went to get dressed we opened the dresser to the old jean/new short spot and he dug around for a minute until he found a pair of jean shorts. He pulled them out inspected them for a minute and said, "hey, where are my pants?" I explained that they were "missing", so instead of picking shorts he moved on to picking a shirt. One shirt that he hasn't worn in a really long time was tucked behind his short sleeve shirts, a button down plaid shirt. He spotted that and it was of course his selection for the day. Thank goodness he allowed me to unbutton and roll up the sleeves and I also got the privilege of selecting a pair of shorts that matched. Today he actually look quite cute!
I'll try to grab some pictures of the outfit selections and post. Until then, wish me luck on the sweats!
No comments:
Post a Comment