Sunday, July 17, 2011

Crazy Lady in the Kitchen

My Uncle Bob called and said they had a lot of fruit from their mini family orchard if I would like to come grab some.  Of course I would!  Little was an understatement, they had tons of white peaches, plums and even a apples.  I of course hate to see all that good fruit go to waste so I took a bunch home and got to jammin'.  I didn't go out to their house until around 7 and after visiting for a while and being so excited to cook I had to stop at the store on the way home and grab more jars.  Dave had gone to a baseball game with his dad so I thought I would try a batch after the boys went to bed while waiting for him to get home. 

I searched the web for a good easy recipe and found one.  It was very similar to my apricot one and was confident I could handle it.  I might say this will be the last time I use this recipe.  Although I'm sure the jam will be yummy - haven't tried it yet - it is very time consuming and doesn't make enough to make the process worth it. 

Peel and pit 8 cups of plums, add sugar and lemon juice, cook and stir for 25 minutes. ALL FOR 3 JARS OF JAM! When I do my apricot recipe it's much the same with out the peeling and only 6 cups of apricots for 5 jars of jam.  Make the plum feel not worth the work.  Next year I'll try another way. 





I still had a ton of peaches and apples to use....freezer jam is way easier I'll do that with the peaches.  Fast and easy for 10 jars of freezer jam.

Last for a BBQ with Mom and Eddie and a few friends of the family I made a huge and pretty apple pie.  It was yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment