Thursday, July 14, 2011

Swim Lesson Progress

Our second session started on Monday and Garrett is doing MUCH better this round.  We spend a couple of days at my Mom's pool practicing with Garrett to help him build his confidence and become more comfortable in the water and boy did it help. 

Day 1 back was still a little shaky and he didn't want to do ANYTHING with the girl teacher (as he calls her) and only wanted to swim with Tanner.  After this day back I explained that he had to share Tanner.  Toward the end of the session I asked Garrett if he wanted to show Tanner how he could jump in the pool to Mommy.  He agreed!  Gannon and I swam over to Garrett's area and Garrett did two jumps to me and then Tanner asked if he would jump to him.  Again, Garrett agreed!  This was all it took to open the door of confidence.  He was SUPER excited all day after this lesson.  At lunch he had me to write him a list of all his good jobs for the day.  He explained exactly what to write,
Good job for -
Jumping
Ring around the Rosie
Getting Shoulders Wet!

Tuesday we talked about how he could earn a new Hot wheel - he had to swim with Katie, "the girl" and he had to do at least one head bob!  I explained our bargain with Tanner at the start of lesson and I really didn't think he would do a head bob on day 2, but he really wanted a new car!  Head bob he did, in addition to the list from the day prior.  Progress, we'll take it!  I really hope that by the end of this next week he is doing more head bobs and maybe even getting his head wet when he jumps in.  We'll see.  Definitely glad we signed up for two sessions this year. 

Update on Gannon - he loves the water and cooperates 90% of the time.  He did start this funny fish lip stubborn thing when I ask him to do bubbles in the water, but his bubbles are getting better when he will cooperate so again, I'll take that!






No comments:

Post a Comment