The park is located on the opposite side of the island than where we were staying so this was a long day trip. Garrett was very excited to see the volcano because the Wonder Pets have a volcano episode that he really likes. I could tell by the look on his face that he didn't understand why Hawaii's volcano was flat and not a mountain like the Wonder Pets, were were standing on the mountain! It was very cool to see the active volcano and sad that a house that we saw standing has since been taken by the lava flow. It would have been neat to see the red lava, but the only way to do that is by helicopter and the boys are quite ready for that ride.
We stopped at the visitor center and for fun I put the little ranger jacket on Gannon and he was instantly in love. I had no idea he was going to scream every time I tried to unzip and take it off. He would scream and pull the zipper back together! Funny guy is now going to be a "Junior Ranger" for Halloween this year!
Inside the lava tubes was very cool. To think the lava traveled this path through the earth making a huge tunnel is very cool. I know a nerd again! There was a lit section of the tube and another that you needed flashlights to continue in, trust me you NEED flashlights. We tried to keep going, but it was pitch black inside.
No comments:
Post a Comment